Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A great video to watch!

http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html

This is why we've slowly been turning "green". I've been getting rid of "stuff" in our house, looking at things that come into our house more closely, I've been buying more handmade, natural things. I've started getting Ava natural, non-toxic, organic toys. I've been going through the boys stuff and am going to be switching them to more natural toys. Actually more books and things more so than toys. We cloth diaper, I breastfeed exclusively, I plan on making Ava's baby food myself. I'm cutting cable and only having basic channels and limiting TV time to almost nothing for the kids. I want to start making as much as I can completely from scratch. If I could have a garden I would. I don't trust the foods we get all the time from the stores. I feel safer knowing that I made it and controlled what was in it. I prefer to support local and work-at-home moms more than big corporations. I don't mind buying things used, I prefer it. (with the exception of my daughter's crib and car seat, those were safety issues for me) Why waste money on something when you can get it used and fine for cheaper? And it's one less thing that is in the trash later. I am hoping for a sewing machine for Hannukkah and I will be sewing a lot for the kids. I got my mom to re-teach me to crochet and I taught myself to knit!

I have a couple little "fancy" little things I love, like my iPhone and my laptop (which I need for work) but other than that, I don't have a lot of luxuries and I like that. I'm not controlled by the media telling me what I need. God gives us everything we need and I couldn't be more blessed with what we have.

We had slowly been changing over to this way for awhile. When I saw that video, it made me further determined to continue on. Little by little we are making our way to a simplistic and healthy lifestyle.

1 comments:

JoAnnC. said...

A woman after my own heart (only it took me almost 40 years to discover all of this!) I think we are happier now that we are living more simply than ever before. My kids LOVE going to the thrift store better than ToysRUs! You are giving your children the best gift possible with this type of lifestyle...sure, people will call you freaks, but I've learned that's an endearing term over the years!
Way to go! Can't wait to discuss all of this over Christmas!