Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Miss Avalea Jo is here!!

Ok here is Miss Avalea's birth story! Yes I only had her a few hours ago and I'm writing from the hospital but I feel great and she is doing amazing and such a good baby. They took her to the nursery for a bit for shift change and her newborn hearing test. So I have a few minutes to post, then I'm eating and getting a nap in!

So we check in at 7. Get all our cervadil and IV started ect. I asked for a sleeping pill because I thought I would be anxious and not sleep any. WELL, an hour after the cervidil was in I started getting contractions about 3-5 minutes apart. They got really strong and were hurting bad, especially in my back. So I got a round of Stadol. It knocked out my contraction pain as well as me. Woke up a little later because it wore off and she gave me another dose(3am). Well, at about 7am, I started feeling them again. The nurse came in to take out the cervadil and check me. I was a "stretchy 3" and still 80% and baby at -2. Dr came in about 8 and broke my water and said after he broke it I was 4 and 0 station and 80%. They let me get the epidural then because the anesthesiologist was next door and I was hurting a lot already. They had JUST started pitocin then my Dr said turn it off because I was in pain and didn't NEED it then. They came and gave me the epidural, it worked perfect. They turned the pitocin on a little after the epidural took effect. I could feel contractions but no pain, then I couldn't really feel the contractions all the time, and they were pretty big. A couple hours later (not even that) she checked me and I was 7cm and still 80%. I started feeling pressure about 20 minutes later. With every cntrx the pressure got stronger. Baby's heart kept dropping low with contraction so she checked me and said I was complete. They put the call in to the Dr. I told her the pressure was getting stronger. She checked and the baby's head was crowning. She told me not to push, I told her I wasn't pushing, I didn't have the urge even though I felt the pressure. I was just sitting there waiting, and the baby was just sliding out. Well with every contraction, her heart beat dropped low, and she pushed out a little more on her own. Then they (the 2 nurses) decided to let her come since she was almost out and her heart rate kept dropping. Well the nurse had to deliver her. they said push, I didn't even push that hard and her head was out, then the rest. She had the cord around her leg and foot which was causing the heart rate to drop because the contraction would squeeze it too hard. She didn't even scream. Just made a few little noises and they put her on me skin to skin for about 15 minutes. Then they took her to the bed to clean up. Apgar was 9/9. Brought her back and she nursed right away for about 30 minutes!! She is so beautiful and hasn't been fussy at all!! I didn't tear or have an episiotomy and feel great other than some soreness from the epidural site!!

Although it was way faster than I was expecting, it was a nice, calm and quiet birth and a wonderful experience to share with my husband. She has been such a good baby. Only has fussed once when she woke up for a feeding and was still so quiet. She nurses great and is the sweetest little baby ever!

I can't access Photobucket in the hospital so I will post pictures later. We've taken a ton already. And have a ton more to take :) We should be released Thursday morning/afternoon!

0 comments: